[aprssig] Cell Phone APRS

wa7nwp wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Oct 13 11:04:08 EDT 2006

>> Microsoft is experimenting with Mobile Social Networking:
>>  <http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/193200689;jsessionid=5DKSFKQMFOKIOQSNDLRSKHSCJUNN2JVN>
>>

> " Because SLAM uses a cellular network's data pipe to send and receive
> messages, Microsoft warns potential users that they need an unlimited
> data plan to avoid a phone bill that could reach as high as $600 a month
> or more."

> I'd say APRS still has a slight edge in cost.......

Maybe but not as much as it appears...   The APRS-IS infrastructure is
certainly not free.  It's totally subsidized by the donations of the
Tier1 and Tier2 servers, their hosts and the efforts of the individuals
involved.  Also here we could include the value of the computers and
internet connections of all the Igates.    Now for that expense, how
much actual RF data is flowing?  Don't consider the TCP/IP client
connections.

The core servers for each Tier 1 and Tier 2 could probably be leased for
$1k total each Tier.    So that's a couple thousand fixed monthly to
spread across the thousands of users.  Far less then cell phone true -
but it's also far less data, slower and in less locations.

The real lesson here is that we have to appreciate the services that
we're getting for free and to really show that appreciation by using them..

73
Bill - WA7NWP