[aprssig] Cell Phone APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 15:18:49 EDT 2006

wa7nwp at jnos.org wrote:

> Cell Phone APRS is here.

Sort of.

> Microsoft is experimenting with Mobile Social Networking:
>  <http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/193200689;jsessionid=5DKSFKQMFOKIOQSNDLRSKHSCJUNN2JVN>

" Because SLAM uses a cellular network's data pipe to send and receive
messages, Microsoft warns potential users that they need an unlimited
data plan to avoid a phone bill that could reach as high as $600 a month
or more."

I'd say APRS still has a slight edge in cost.......

> Microsoft enhances GPS capability in Streets and Trips
>
> <http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/11/HNmsgps_1.html>

What a bunch of press release BS  !!!

"Microsoft enhances GPS capability in Streets and Trips

By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
October 11, 2006

[excerpt from article]

New Pharos receiver makes app ten times more sensitive than previous version

In a press statement, Helen Chiang, a product manager at Microsoft, said
better GPS capability in Streets & Trips will give users of the software
more confidence that the journey they've mapped in the software is the
correct one. "

It's not the application that's "10 times more sensitive" !!    It's the
included standard NMEA-capable GPS receiver.  It will also make any
other application (like Delorme Street Atlas, Precision Mapping, UIview,
APRSplus, Xastir, etc) "10 times more sensitive".

The supposedly revolutionary change is that the included Pharos GPS
"mouse" (that Microsoft calls a "GPS Locator")  has adopted the same
improved-performance SiRF III chip set everyone else (Like Delorme,
Deluo and Holux for example) now use......

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide