[aprssig] More efficient use of channel capicity through shorterpackets

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Fri Oct 13 10:41:05 EDT 2006

Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Ron Stordahl wrote:
>>
>> So TXD and TXTail are apparently eating up more than half of the on
>> the air time.  If these could be reduced to 100 ms and 50 ms each,
>> the numbers would be 150 msec (TXD+TXT) and 308 msec (data packet)
>> for a total of 458 msec.
>
> So, couldn't we make the digis a bit smarter and amortize the TX delay
> and TX tail by buffering packets for a few seconds, then sending
> multiple packets in one burst?
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

No no no! If it can't be done with a Kenwood D7 or D700, or a KPC-3, it
cannot be done.

Any proposal must be based on the wonderfulness of these close-source
devices.

<Tongue out of cheek>

Seriously, there is ingrained resistance but one could build a
serial-based PIC or basic stamp solution to interface to any tnc.

However, adding delay, deliberately, by buffering, even for 10 or 15
seconds, has been frowned upon in the past. APRS is real time, blah blah
blah.

--
      ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
     ( (     Echolink 99190      Grid Square EL17HQ
   `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net