[aprssig] 9600b UHF APRS IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

Joe Della Barba joe at dellabarba.com
Mon Oct 9 21:06:51 EDT 2006

IMHO, no.
APRS succeeded because there was tons of 2 meter 1200 bps gear sitting
around about to be thrown away. When was the last time you used 2 meter
packet to check your email? APRS brilliantly used this cheap stuff to do
something new and amazing. I am one of the many that would not likely
invest in 9600 bps equipment. My pet peeve is that there is no 10 meter
FM 1200 BPS packet frequency. For rural areas *that* is the ticket with
plenty of surplus hi power "low band" commercial stuff available.
73
N3HGB