[aprssig] 9600b UHF APRS IS THE FUTURE OF APRS

Patrick Green pagreen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 13:55:16 EDT 2006

I operated 9600 on UHF for a short time along side the VHF digi currently
running and the performance was disappointing.  I have a problem at that
site with long runs of feedline and can't keep the loss figures managable.
VHF is more forgiving.  While in opation, I had to fish for a spot most of
the time while the system was running.  It was running a Kantronics D4-10
running 10 watts on 430.55 to a 6 dbd omni at 80 feet.  The 200 foot run of
feedline (90 feet of 7/8" heliax and 110 feet of RG-214U) made for some
dismal loss figures.  Compound that with the fact that 430.55 is away from
where the antenna was cut for (448) and the D7A probably isn't optimized to
receive at that end of the range.  When mobile, I could get in as long as I
was 4 miles of less from the station.  Stationary, I could get in up to 8
miles or so away.  Now compare that to the 2m system which has a
5.25dbdgain antenna cut for
146.52 with 200 feet of RG-214U at the same height, I can get into it from 8
to 9 miles away moving and as far as 20 miles away stationary with the same
D7A.  Just thought I'd pass this along.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF