[aprssig] D7 and ITEM

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 9 00:16:24 EDT 2006

On Sat, 6 Oct 2006, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> be sent. So we switched to ITEM. The packet is getting to FINDU just
> fine, but I never see it on my D7, so I'm wondering....

As I recall the Kenwoods don't decode Item format.  There's a Wiki
page out there that describes the Kenwood problems.

> (And, not to start a flame, but does the D7's decoder just stink?
> I "hear" what seem to be nice solid packets but the majority don't
> decode at all... some do. Maybe something wrong with my radio,
> though, since I can't seem to get a decodable posit out as of about
> 12 hours ago, either.)

Something about them using flat audio from the discriminator instead
of de-emphasized audio I think.  Most other APRS systems out there
feed data into the MIC port to it gets pre-emphasized before
transmit, de-emphasized on receive.  If/when you bypass these
filters and don't provide the filtering in the TNC circuits, you
speak well to those doing the same thing (Kenwoods), but not so well
to everyone else.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer