[aprssig] Re: APRS over TCP/IP Question (John Habbinga)

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Oct 5 13:36:22 EDT 2006

Michael N5PDW wrote...

> I will give that a try. I am just starting with APRS, so this is all new
> to me. Will I still need a TNC or just the APRS software and GPS?

...and John N5PDW had previously responded "Just use your APRS
client software and configure it to connect to an APRS server."

If you don't already have an APRS client, you could take a look at UI-View
www.ui-view.org. You can connect to the APRS-IS and send your own position
reports etc. and view other stations around you that have made it to an
IGate. You can receive data for your own vicinity or from further afield if
your cell modem has enough bandwidth. This is done by connecting to a
filtered port 14580 server - all easily set up in UI-View. You don't need a
TNC, radio or GPS for this. You can manually enter your lat/long. That will
get you started. However, sooner or later, you will probably want to add a
TNC (or software based TNC) but you don't need it to get started.

re GPS... if you are actually mobile, a GPS would automatically keep
your position updated, but you can still enter a position manually if you
want the rest of the world to know where you are. The GPS just makes
it more automatic.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH