[aprssig] D700 GPS connection

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 2 22:50:55 EDT 2006

> I've always thought the EIAJ (Electronic Industies Assn
> Japan) blew it
> when they defined the standard MiniDIN 6-pin packet/data connector by
> not providing a pin for 12 VDC power for the gadgets that
> connected to
> this jack.

They're not the first ones to miss the boat.  Of the standard 'legacy' PC
ports, I think only the keyboard/mouse connections had power.  Look how many
silly USB-powered gadgets popped up once we actually got a peripheral
connection with power available.

> rear for powering GPS devices.   My approach is that the radio should
> always provide the power for peripherals without having to
> have forked
> 12 VDC power cables from the primary power source.

Certainly preferred, but not practical for all users.

> Note that in addition to the usual cigarette ligher plug with an
> internal 12->5 VDC switcher in it, Deluo also has an inline 12 to 5
> converter with flying leads (complete with inline fuse

Well, shoot.. I never noticed that.  I'll have to find out if I can get a
better deal from them as a reseller.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Scott
N1VG