[aprssig] Garmin GPS35PC not getting fix

Ralph Milnes ralphmilnes at patmedia.net
Wed Nov 29 16:32:04 EST 2006

I have an old Garmin GPS 35PC (I think I bought it from TAPR many years
ago).

It's been sitting in a box for those many years, and I'm now trying to get
it going. I've hooked it up to my D700 and via the P.MON option I can see
that it is sending GPRMC and GPGGA sentences OK.

The problem is that it's not getting a fix after 2 days out in the open
(tried several locations). The RMC sentence includes a "V" in the second
field indicating "no fix", but has the correct UTC time and date in the
sentence.

I've had the unit powered at 12V direct from the car battery for 2 days.

Could the backup battery -- which is no doubt depleted -- be the problem?

Anyone know if there's an easy solution to this? The cost for Garmin to look
at it exceeds its value.

Ralph KC2RLM