[aprssig] Re: Clueless Beacon on 30M HF

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Wed Nov 15 23:59:52 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:40:10PM -0800, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> 1)   What is he doing gating VHF to HF?

Well, it's probably someone who is confusing GATE and "IGate" and
put GATE in without realizing it meant HF.  As to why the actual VHF-HF
station is doing it (instead of ignoring it), well, you'd have to find
them.  I'm guessing about who it is based on my own 10m HF experiments.

> 2)  Why is he transmitting raw NMEA strings instead of compressed or
> Mic-E packets.  This string probably took over 15 seconds to send at 300
> baud.

The original sender probably doesn't know he's going to HF at all.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>