[aprssig] transceiver for APRS?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 15 15:23:54 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> Aside from "almost free", what features would you want? The ones
> that came immediately to mind were
> 	- low idle current
> 	- 9600 bps capable
> 	- frequency agile (with some work, perhaps)

> 	- no voice frequency pre-emphasis

Is that last requirement so that they're compatible with the
Kenwoods and very little else?  Everything else out there is using
pre-emphasis/de-emphasis.

More:
    - 5W-7W output
    - Small, rugged, lightweight
    - Frequency agile, computer controllable
    - Discriminator tap to reduce mA on open-squelch receive
    - Room inside case to add TNC board and batteries
    - Room for GPS and computer connectors

I don't need 9600.  Looking for rugged tranceivers (not just
transmitters) that would work for SAR.  Portable.  You didn't
mention whether you were thinking of a mobile or portable rig.

If capable of voice operation as well, then it'd be nice to either
quiet the RX audio to the speaker when packet comes across (for
Mic-E operation), or have the unit auto-switch to another frequency
of choice to send the posits.

Even better would be dual receiver so that you could
receive/digipeat on the APRS frequency plus receive audio on the
voice frequency (or another packet frequency).  The transmitter
could be frequency agile though so you'd need only one there.

I know I'm dreaming on those last two, but you asked!