[aprssig] Google Earth interfaces?

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Nov 9 15:38:13 EST 2006

> Google earths limit on cached data is pretty small, compared
> to what would
> really be useful.  I sometimes use the "fly" feature of

Yeah, there are two problems - it's too small, and there's no way to specify
an area to pre-load.  You have to look at every place you want to cache, in
the resolution at which you want it cached.  Whether it's through Google
Earth itself or an external caching proxy of some sort, I'd really love to
have the ability to just download all detail for a given area.  USA Photo
Maps lets me do that, and I can leave it running for hours if necessary to
pull down an area of interest.  Granted, Google probably wouldn't like the
extra load on their servers, but I'd be willing to pay for a subscription to
do that.

Scott
N1VG