[aprssig] Remote monitoring

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 6 14:53:42 EST 2006

The 'Y' cable is a standard, off-the-shelf part.  I don't have them listed
on my website, but I have a few on hand.  When I was using this setup with a
KPC-3, I never had any real trouble with the TNC not detecting the tracker.

If it's solely a digi, then most of the time the TNC is going to transmit
only after it receives a packet.  Set the tracker to have a long quiet time
value, and it'll only transmit when the channel is quiet and the digi isn't
going to be transmitting, except for the occasional ID.  The chances of a
collision are small, and the fact that the tracker can detect the TNC's
transmission will tend to keep the two apart even if the interval is the
same.

You might have trouble if you're running open squelch, though - the OT
doesn't have true DCD.  You can probably set it up with some creative wiring
in the TNC.  Or you could just wait until my Tracker2 is done.  =]

Weather permitting, I'll be flying a T2 prototype on a high-altitude balloon
in the Mojave desert this Saturday.  It'll be sending telemetry, tracking
data, and will be acting as a digipeater.  Anyone in range is welcome to try
bouncing a message through it.  I should have messaging capability at N1VG-8
(my TH-D7) and whatever I set up in the chase vehicle.

Scott