[aprssig] Preparing for a long roadtrip

Brian Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed May 31 20:36:20 EDT 2006

While it would seem that the rules want call/ve2 . they violate the
protocol. I don't even think the D700 will take them except maybe in
the comment field. You just put your call in like you do in the
states. You are transmitting your call and your GPS location ... what
more do they need? I travel to and from Montreal and Quebec with some
regularity and have so for years   and many Quebecois travel down
here  to VT and nobody changes anything and noone has ever raised a
fuss. You will find the APRS Coverage through Ontario and Quebec to
be awesome, WIDE2-2 will take you across the whole expanse with slid
print to the APRS-IS.

We get into this debate every now and then because people read the
letter of the rules and don't look beyond to the common sense of it
with regard to APRS. If anything your are doing a better job IDing
and locating with APRS than announcing on voice N1XYZ/VE2.

cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
  <http://www.wulfden.org/DiskShop.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 LCD Controller Kit
       FT817 Power Conditioner Kit