[aprssig] pointless text in the status (was: Preparing for a long roadtrip - VA)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 31 19:30:33 EDT 2006

>>> w2pi at optonline.net 05/31/06 12:57 PM >>>
>Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't part of the beauty of voice
>alert that by transmitting with PL100, anyone listening with
>their volume turned up and pl set will know you're there?

But that is -half- the problem.  It assumes the recepient is "listening".
As I posted before, of every new person I meet with a D700,
less than half have ever heard of "Voice Alert".  ANd half of the
half that have, admit "they dont understand it and have not
set it up"....

SO only 1/4th of the people that can use Voice Alert with a
simple front panel setting, do.  Hence, the need to indicate
that your radio -is- set up for VoA and ready...

>In this situation, you don't need anything in the status text -
>its right there coming out of your speaker, if you're in range.

which assumes:
1) another D700 is in simplex  range
2) He is also set for Voice Alert
which makes it extremely rare.

Better to include it in your status text or psoition comment
so that it reaches 100% of all APRS recepients within ALOHA
range which is about 100 times more than those that would
hear it otherwise...

de WB4APR, Bob