[aprssig] pointless text in the status (was: Preparing for a longroadtrip - VA)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 31 14:10:36 EDT 2006

ramirault at verizon.net wrote:
>> Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't part of the beauty of voice alert
>> that by transmitting with PL100, anyone listening with their volume
>> turned up and pl set will know you're there?
>>
>> In this situation, you don't need anything in the status text - its
>> right there coming out of your speaker, if you're in range.
>
> Yes .. but .. Bob's point is to let folks know about Voice Alert who
> are NOT "listening with their volume turned up and pl set..."

But if they don't know about voice alert already, will they have the
foggiest idea what "VOA" in a beacon means??     [ My first association
on seeing the string "VOA" was also  "Voice of America" and "VA" =
"Veterans Administration" or perhaps AC power Volt-Amperes.  The acute
acronym shortage in modern life strikes again! ]

 Not to mention all the dumb trackers that can't see anything......

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide