[aprssig] alt-input-digi on 144.39/144.99

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 30 11:48:07 EDT 2006

>> THen one thing is possible to consider for that very high mountain
>> old WIDE only digi, is to just go up there this summer and
>> flip the switch so that the RADIO operates on 144.99 -600.
>> ANd change its WIDE alias to "WIDE1-1".   THis instantly makes
>> it a alt-input- 144.99/144.39 digi for lower power or priority use
>
>That completely removes any collision detection mechanisms
>and turns low power units into high power packets with no
>listen before transmit.  This is not a good thing and would
>probably be a serious detriment to a busy network.

But there is also another way of looking at it.

That is, it is a way of giving *priority* to local users.  In many
areas, local users are often blocked out of their own "local" digi,
because of all the QRM from surrounding distant digipeaters in
other cities or high density areas.  Using the alt-input
channel for special events or local higher priority traffic
is a way of offering pre-emptive priority to local (direct to
that digi only) users.  Which can be very valuable if used
appropriately.

Like anything, it can be bad or good.  Depending on what
you are trying to accomplish at any particular instant in time.

I agree, there are a lot of trackers I would like to do the
opposite, and that is give their W3-3, 1 minute posits 24/7
LESS priority.... hi hi...

Bob, Wb4APR