[aprssig] 2006 WA SAR Conf Wrap-up

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Tue May 30 00:52:20 EDT 2006

Curt WE7U and myself, Herb KB7UVC, gave an APRS Presentation to the SAR
Folks at the 2006 WA SAR Conference at the King County Fair Grounds in
Enumclaw, WA on May 19, 20 & 21.  The Annual WA SAR Conference is the
BIGGEST SAR Conference in the world with well over 1000 attending every
year.  This year we had seven people from Iceland attending the conference
and they got the award for traveling the farthest to attend this conference.
We had a number of units from the Canadian Provinces, from at least 14 US
States and 26 WA Counties represented.

Curt and I gave a two hour presentation on Friday afternoon, then a one hour
presentation on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Between the three
presentations we had well over 60 SAR folks attending with some really good
questions.  I believe we will have a few more counties investigate the use
of APRS trackers during their local SAR activities.  It has been my dream to
get APRS integrated into local SAR activities.  As a matter of fact, that
was THE reason why I got into APRS in 1998 and needless to say, I got
hooked!

Our Power Point presentation and two handouts are available for viewing and
downloading at:

	http://wetnet.net/~we7u/

Then go down to   "Miscellaneous Links" and select the item of your choice:

	WASAR 2006 Presentation: "Radio Tracking Your SAR Teams" ,
	WASAR 2006 Handout: "Radio Tracking Your SAR Teams" ,
	Brochure: "GETTING_STARTED_WITH_APRS" .

Enjoy and feel free to use this material in your local APRS presentations.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info