[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 29 14:27:34 EDT 2006

Maybe it is symantics, but If I may suggest, the first thing
to do is to upgrade that main Knoxville digi to New-N to
support WIDEn-N.   It was disappointing to disappear for
over 200 miles and almost 3 hours while driving through
central tenessee last year.

But that was a year ago, I thought that they had recently
upgraded that digi?

>>> mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net 05/29/06 2:14 PM >>>
>We have a WIDE area digi that covers most of
>the area well. There are a few places where the WIDE
>digi can be heard, but can not hear (downtown Knoxville).
>
>Now, we have a station that moved to an area where
>he can not hear the WIDE area digi.

Presumably if it is just that one station, he couild do
just a little bit to his home antenna to pull it in?

If everywhere else is covered, you could put a low
power WIDEn-N digi near him.  Say at the 1 watt
level or less....  that would let him see everything,
but not add a lot of QRM to everyone else?

Bob

On Mon, May 29, 2006 2:05 pm, VE7GDH said:
> Jason KG4WSV wrote...
>
>> This reinforces what I have always felt was fundamentally wrong with
>> the "fill-in digi" concept.  If I need help getting out, I need help
>> receiving, too!
>
> Yes, but if you successfully send a message out via a "fill-in" digi and
> someone replies using the same path that you used, they should theoretically
> be able to reach you. You will usually get two chances to receive the
> reply... one from the (usually) higher elevation WIDEn-N digi (if you can
> hear it direct) and then again when it is digi'd via the nearby fill-in
> digi that heard the WIDEn-N digi. You probably need help getting out
> because the higher elevation WIDEn-N digi hears too much. Everyone
> is politely holding off until the frequency is clear as far as their
> receiver is concerned. However, if the high elevation WIDEn-N digi does
> actually get the reply, and the sender used a path that included the fill-in
> digi that you used, there would be a higher chance of success.
>
> Here's a can of worms. Would it ever be reasonable for someone sending a
> reply to use DIGI1,WIDE1-1 for the reply path? I know what it would do...
> every fill-in digi that hears DIGI1 would digipeat the reply. Can anyone
> think of a circumstance where it could be justified? I'm not mulling over
> beaconing with WIDE1-1 anywhere other than in the first position... just a
> message or a reply. I nearly deleted this paragraph before hitting send, so
> please be kind!
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
> --

William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods.
Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never
seen before.
     - Alexander Graham Bell