[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon May 29 12:50:33 EDT 2006

Wes KD4RDB wrote...

<snip>

> On a side note, the other lesson learned was to set the slow speed on
> smart beaconing to 1mph.  That way as the busses creep forward in
> queue loading people, they'll be transmitting their new positions.

Changing the subject a bit from TEMPn-N... I hear what you are saying, but
don't forget that often inaccuracy in your own GPS receiver will make it
look like you are travelling faster than that speed even if completely
stationary. I would probably set the slow speed to 5 kph and with the slow
rate at 600 seconds. With the fast speed set to 50 kph and the fast rate at
60 seconds, and with SmartBeaconing enabled, you would have most situations
covered.  If it was truly stationary, it would beacon every 10 minutes. If
it ever got up to 50 kph, it would beacon every minute. If it turned a
corner, it would beacon.

That just leaves your scenario of creeping forward in a queue. If you set
the slow speed to 1 mph, the tracker is going to beacon at the slow rate no
matter what. You have really lost the advantage of SmartBeaconing. A
compromise might be to nudge the slow speed up to say 5 kph but nudge the
slow rate downwards from e.g. 10 minutes to something like 3 minutes. If the
bus is truly stationary, it will beacon every 3 minutes. Whether it creeps
forward or not, it will beacon every 3 minutes. If it is really moving, it
would beacon more often and when turning a corner. If it was me, I wouldn't
go that route. I would probably stick with 5 kph for the slow speed to
(usually) eliminate the GPS from wandering in excess of your slow speed and
with the slow rate set to 10 minutes. So what if you don't get to see the
bus creep forward? e.g. you have 10 busses in a queue. One of them actually
departs - it will beacon very soon either based on time or when it turns a
corner. What tactical advantage to you have of seeing a bus move forward one
(or 10) bus lengths? I'm sure you saw a need for it or you wouldn't have
mentioned the intention to use 1 mph in the future. I just don't see it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH