[aprssig] APRS in Washington, Oregon, BC, Banff

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 22 13:46:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Randy Pence wrote:

> I am going to be spending the last two weeks in July in Wa, Org, BC and
> Banff. I would like to run APRS in the rental car. I would like to keep
> equipment to a minimum. Would I be able to consistently work digies with
> 5 watts from a D7AG and a quarter wave mag mount? I have a 30 watt RS
> amplifier I could take along but do not wish to pack if not needed.

You may need to bump up your power in some areas.  I find that 20 or
25 watts works well.  People running TH-D7A's do well in the Seattle
and probably Portland and Vancouver/Victoria areas, but between the
major centers you're probably going to want more power to be seen.

> What
> would be the correct Unproto to use for reliable communications so the
> friends back home could keep up with me on Find You?

In our NWAPRS network which covers the entire area you describe, use
"WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1".