[aprssig] motorcycle mobile tracker

apratt at bestbits.org apratt at bestbits.org
Sun May 21 00:15:21 EDT 2006

I have been trying to set up a tracker on my motorcycle. I have a 25W
Yaesu radio and a 1/2 wave antenna. The range is great, but it only
works when I'm moving under 55 miles an hour. The antenna's not stiff
enough - it flexes and my outgoing signal drops. I'm in the market for
a new antenna or some way to stabilize the one I've got.

People sometimes put 1/4 wave antennas on motorcycles but it's tricky
to get a ground plane. I decided not to try - I don't have the
knowledge, equipment, or patience to deal with that. Some folks have
success on GoldWings - must be all that metal - and I'm sure you can
find web sites and people who have done it to help you out. Good luck.

-- Allan Pratt, apratt at bestbits.org