[aprssig] New -N Paradigm Works!

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Fri May 19 15:12:50 EDT 2006

Right.

One hop in all directions:
WIDE1-1
WIDE2-1

Two hops in all directions:
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1   (best mobile)
WIDE2-2           (best non-moving)

Three hops in all directions (usually too much for courtesy to other hams,
at least West of the Rockies and in most populated areas farther East in
North America too):
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
WIDE3-3  (if the digis will operate it, but luckily many won't anymore)

Local "fill-in" (or "event") digis will ONLY operate WIDE1-1.  The
high-level network digis ("S overlay" character on their map symbol) will
operate WIDE1-1 or WIDE2-1 or WIDE2-2 (and "SSn-N").

RELAY and WIDE and TRACE and TRACEn-N are completely obsolete in North
America at least (and stations using them or digis still allowing their use
are unhelpful to the other users of the VHF network).

73, Cap KE6AFE