[aprssig] DXCluster to APRS-RF

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu May 18 10:55:26 EDT 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Ron Stordahl wrote:

> A very good way of putting DX Spots on APRS radio is though the use
> of M0CYP's UI-DX Bridge.  His page is at http://welcome.to/uiview
>
> With the right set of filter commands you can command AR-Cluster or
> DXSpider to deliver to you only spots originated from a specific
> list of states.  By spotters state is as fine control as I am aware
> of.  You can also limit spots by band, so for example to restrict
> spots to HF only.
>
> UI-DX Bridge allows you to specify the path for your UI packets.  I
> only want these locally, so I use a path of NULL, i.e. the actual
> call is the 4 characters NULL.  This is not recognized by any area
> digipeater thus these packets are never repeated.  I can only get
> by with putting DX Packets on 144.39 because the area traffic is so
> light up here in NW Minnesota.  You wouldn't want to do this in a
> busy area, of course you could use another frequency if that were
> the case.

If this is the software I am thinking of, I am not a big fan. One
piece of software out there reformats DX spots, generates a lat/lon
based on the call, and sends it as an APRS position . The problem is
that it results in clusters of position in the wrong spot, especially
bad if you happen to live near the arbitrary position chosen (e.g.
there is one position for all N4/W4/K4 calls, the near.cgi for these
areas becomes worthless). I also field emails from angry hams who do
not want their position on APRS.

I have no problem with the retransmission of the dx spot itself, only
with reformatting the report with an artifical lat/lon. If this is
not the software that does that, nevermind!

Steve K4HG