[aprssig] K107 Serial LCD Controller - Now Shipping

Brian Riley brianbr at mac.com
Tue May 16 18:21:34 EDT 2006

It is a 'backpack" to an LCD display. It take 9600 baud serial to a
PIC chip on the board and displays it on the LCD. Normally you have
to use up 6 i/o lines to write to an LCD display. This handles all
that on board needing only a single i/o line, +5 volts, and GND for
input. The tiny board attaches to the back of the display by its pins
and is light enough that it needs nothing more than that. You connect
it to whatever device needs to display data by a lightweight 3 wire
cable. The input can be TTL level (connects directly to a basic stamp
or PIC) or it can be connected to an RS232 port (change a jumper and
bring a transistor level shifter/INVerter into play). It is superior
to its competitors because it can handle a number of different LCD
display physical connectors as well as the controller chip allows 7
different display geometries (2x16, 2x20, 2x24, 2x40, 4x16, 4x20) as
well as software control of backlight intensity.

What an experimenter can do with it is have an LCD display on any
project and only have it 'cost' him one i/o line ... and i actual
dollars t he k107 while doing as much or more than its competitor is
cheaper than all its competitors and the only one be offered as a
bare board  in addition to several different levels of kits.

I really felt my web page was clear on that and it is, to diehard
micro-tinkers, but after your response I need to address other levels
of interest as well, thanks.

cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
  <http://www.wulfden.org/DiskShop.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 LCD Controller Kit
       FT817 Power Conditioner Kit