[aprssig] Re: DFing voice on 144.39 in NOVA

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 16 14:48:11 EDT 2006

The VOX controlled signal speaking Voice APRS reports on
144.39 in the Wash DC area has been narrowed down to
about a mile using the APRS Omni SIgnal Strength reports.
This was later confrimed with a beam on a mobile.  Somewhere
very near the Landover Metro.
See the solution on the web page below.

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 05/13/06 5:35 PM >>>
The DF plot on the voice signal on 144.39 in the Wash DC
area is proceeding.  I...heard it while mobile at RT50 and
the Beltway.    See the updated plot:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

Actually, since almost none of the APRS clones except for
APRSdos and XASTIR plot this stuff anymore, maybe
the best thing is for somone to make it an application
on FINDU or APRSWORLD.   Then any APRS station can
make reports anywhere there is a DF search going on,
and then we can zoom in on this Omni-DF-plotter and
see the result the same as we are doing here manually.

Anyone can make an OMNI signal report by changing the
P in their PHG to a signal S (0-9) and changing "PHG"
to "DFS".  Done.   Or anyone can make a report for someone
else's voice report by placing an OBJect on the map as
I have done here.

PHGphgd  is the PHG data
DFSshgd  is a signal report "s" from the same station.

Just a thought.  It would be a REAL resource to the
Amateur Community, and back to some of the original
intentions of the APRS system.

Bob, Wb4APR