[aprssig] APRS at Dayton

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun May 14 21:06:57 EDT 2006

I live in Dayton, but I'm not actively involved in DARA (Hamvention's
sponsor), so I don't have much firsthand knowledge...

In the last two years there's been a dramatic shift in how Hamvention
operates.  For a long time it had been run in a way that displaced
volunteer labor with paid staff.  That made things run well, but as I
understand it the show was actually losing money.  A new team came on
board last year and shifted back to much more of a volunteer-based
effort.  There have been some rough spots along the way, and not
everything is running like clockwork, but the show's finances have
started to come around, the hams in DARA have started feeling like a
part of the show again, and there's a level of enthusiasm that was not
there in the past several years.

I can't speak to the mail and web problems, but I'm forwarding your
email to a couple of folks who ought to hear your comments (given how
busy they are getting ready for the show, I'm hesitant to publish their
addresses and add to the flood).

73,
John
----