[aprssig] Omni DFing...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 12 11:14:32 EDT 2006

>I keep hearing a common theme and I feel that
>I have to comment or drop this list entirely.
>... you think that PHG is "required" for fixed stations...

Yes,  ham radio is about antennas, gain and location.
It is surprising to me that every ham does not
include this fundamental characterization of his station
in his routine APRS position report.

>The [TAPR] protocol document ... does not [say
>"required"]... If you want to see things change then
>get the protocol written, corrected, voted on, and
>published.

A much easier approach is just to get people to do it
themselves.  ANY station, no matter what APRS clone
he is using can trivially enter his PHG into his position
comment...  Just type in PHGphgd...

And whenever a DF signal report is needed all he has
to do is call it up and simply change -one- digit
to make it DFSshgd... to turn it into an instantaneous
DF signal report that can contribute to the localizing
of this interferring signal in his community.

Getting users to participate in the community by
providing such reports is good for everyone.
This is a much more viable approach than forming a
committee to change one word in a spec.  Which will
have zero effect on users.

>If you ever want to see your changes in the
>protocol implemented by software developers,
>hardware manufacturers, or radio manufacturers you
>will have to get the protocol document updated.

Don't need to.  The spec fully supports both PHG
and DFS reporting. We just need USERS to be
better educated and to use it.

thanks
de WB4APR, Bob