[aprssig] PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Thu May 11 21:31:56 EDT 2006

> If you can point me to where I had preciously suggested
> "tweaking" them, I will be  happy to go back and
> change them, because I agree, it is getting people on
> the wrong track here...
>
> Thanks
> Bob, WB4APR

Don't think I heard you say it but I think there are cases where "tweaking"
them is a good idea. Currently I have a Digi/IGate that if I use it's
correct PHG would show a coverage pattern of more than twice what it really
covers. That's because the antenna it's connected to is in bad shape (SWR
around 1:2] and is slated to be replaced very soon. When the antenna gets
replaced I'll reinsert the correct PHG to show it's relative coverage.

While I'm on the subject of relative coverage. I've notice that PHG can only
do Circles. Since almost none of the coverage patterns I've seen really are
circler a circle would _have_ to be relative. One case I know of the Digi
covers better to the West than it does to the East. [Think Antenna is on the
West Side of the tower.] So the circle correctly shows coverage on the West
side but shows only relative coverage on the East side. Another example is a
Digi I have that uses a 5 Element Yagi. My PHG shows a circle but really
should show more of an elliptical pattern.