[aprssig] Radiation Readings

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu May 11 18:59:18 EDT 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Ron Wenig wrote:

> able to do.  I know there is a way to transmit telemetry via APRS.
> Is there
> a way to transmit other data such as radiation readings.

Telemetry is one good option. The advantage is that there are already
ways to display the data, for example findU has several telemetry
cgi's, you can even specify the scaling and labels of the graph to
make it a complete display. The disadvantage is that the telemetry
option only gives you 256 levels to report.

If you want more precision than 8 bits, the supported way to do it is
with a user-defined APRS message. You can place anything you want in
the packet after the three characters that will define your specific
packet format.

The suggestion of putting it in the comment as /Rxxxxx is not
supported in the APRS spec. Though it will work, future compatibility
is not assured, and the user-defined packet was created specifically
to avoid the need for kludges like this one.

Steve K4HG