[aprssig] Re: PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 11 13:12:47 EDT 2006

>Maybe the real problem with PHG is in displaying
>it as a circle on a map. Maybe PHG should be
>just that... power height gain and no circle on a map.

Thats similar to suggesting that we just list LAT
LONGS for position and not put them on the map
either. ...  Seeing a circle that covers 1000 times
more area is more suggesting of a difference in
performance than listing one station as 50W at
300' and the other at 5W and 10'.

I dont know too many hams that visualize that
in their heads when they see PHG numbers..

>If you are trying to track a signal down, the P
>in PHG doesn't have anything to do with what
>a particular station can hear...

Exactly, that is why the "P" in PHG becomes a
signal strength in the DFS report .  The Height
and Gain and directivity remain.

"PHGphgd" becomes "DFSshgd" when a station is
making a DF signal report.  The beauty of this
being that to make a rapid DF signal strength
report was only supposed to take a single
quick entry (since PHG data should already
be in the stations report).   We want APRS to
be able to nail the neighborhood of a jammer
in seconds.  If people will just listen and enter
their signal strength.

de Wb4APR

 it's just a factor on how
far its own signal can be heard.