[aprssig] Re: PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 11 11:13:04 EDT 2006

>> Thanks,  I hope that that button defaults to the
>> condition that includes this PHG data in his packet unless
>> the  owner specifically takes action to disable it?
>
>Why would you want to try and guarantee bad data?
>How are the xastir developers supposed to know a
>good value for every single user's PHG?
>Bad data is worse than no data!

I dont follow the logic of your comment....
- PHG is power, height and gain.
- most hams should know their power and
- their height and their approximate gain

How does transmitting it "guarantee" bad data?
The relative area covered by a station with an
HT and a whip at 10 feet can be as much as
1000 times less area than a 50W station at 300'.
Without PHG data, the two look indistinguishible
in APRS and that is a travesty to the fundamentals
of having a "situational awareness"  radio system.

Further, if he has made a 3 dB or so error, unless
he shows his PHG circle and compares it with his
expectations or experience, then how is he going
to know he is off?

Bob, WB4APR