[aprssig] PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 11 10:09:58 EDT 2006

Curt,

I was surprised to see an Xastir station without any
PHG data.  I thought UIview was the only software
that omitted this fundamental dimension to APRS?

We are trying to track down a CPU Voice signal on
144.39 using the APRS Omni-Signal Strength technique
and I find that almost all home stations in the area are
not showing any PHG data and so without this fundamental
APRS data that should be in every position beacon,
we are having to do a painfuly slow collection of manual
PHG data.

This is a royal pain for something that was supposed to
be fundamentally included in APRS all the time.  Can
the Xastir authors consider making users enter their PHG
data at the same time they do their initial set up of callsign,
lat and long?

Thanks.

To see the evolving Omni-DF solution, see:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

de WB4APR, Bob