[aprssig] APRSPoint Help

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 10 05:35:34 EDT 2006

dave_dunster at accesscomm.ca wrote:

> I just recently acquired APRSPoint registration. I have no problems
> receiving data from the local RF.
>

> I do however have a problem getting data from the Internet. APRS+SA
> and ViewPoint have no problems getting data.
>

> I have connected to first.aprs.net on port 23 and received a large
> amount of data. But I have a problem using the APRS2.NET servers.
>

> I connect to montreal.aprs2.net on port 14580 and have a secondary on
> montana.aprs2.net on port 14580. I am not using any filters.
>

> I do get a connect to confirmation but no data appears to flow. Any
> ideas on what I may have done wrong or missing?
>

> I have setup the callsign:password information as per APRSPoint's
> directions.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> signed,
>

> Dave, VE5DGD
>
> Regina, SK

The port 15480 filter port WILL NOT WORK until you send a filter
statement.  The filters are additive -- you must sent one to get
anything.  Further, if you use a filter based on your own location (such
as "everything within 50 km of my QTH" you must send a position report
before anything willl come back.

Full details on the filter port settings are on my website at:

    http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com