[aprssig] APRS Irrigation Pipe 55' mast

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 9 11:18:31 EDT 2006

Thanks for the feedback.  Ill clarify the wording.
Its 3 sections of the standard 2,3 and 4" irrigation
pipe.  And probably mine is about 50'.  I can't
remember if I got full 20' sections of pipe or
the more likely shortenend ones due to damage.

But I think I remmebr that some perfectly good
looking 20' pipes were still not-useable by the
park rangers due to just damage to the fittings only.
I have another one of these antennas on my
house in Annapolis (2 sections) but it is rental
and I havent used it in 20 years.  It also came down
in a thunderstorm, having the top section bend at
the base.  I spliced it back together too.

Again, never leave one of these unattended in bad
weather OR be sure to guy it.

Oh, I also shoved hard foam up inside that splice
of the top section of that one, to make it less likely
to kink near the base.  Probably would have been
better to run up a 6' piece of PVC inside the bottom
of it where the bending moment is the most.

Oh, the PVC pipe does not fit as is.  You have to split it
and compress or expand it to fit where you need
bushings...

Thanks
Bob