[aprssig] BMW X5 - integrated GPS

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue May 9 04:01:39 EDT 2006

There is a "hack" to get NMEA data out of it for the likes of APRS, but you will loose the on board sat-nav if you do that.  It also needs the screened assemblies opening and extra wires and a connector adding.  There was a link to a website (hackaday I think) some months ago about that.

As to the car, don't take it into the soft stuff, it's crap at that, don't know how many I've seen having to be pulled off a grass verge because they got stuck on wet grass after a slight "off".  Take care, they don't handle like a sports car, as some have found, despite going like one in a straight line on dry black top.

Dave G0WBX.