[aprssig] Path Question

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 5 21:33:47 EDT 2006

>I was going to Denali  Alaska next month but the digi is
>KL1SF. So... will wide2-1 work anyway ?
>
>KL1SF-3>APRS,WIDE,qAo,KL1SF:!6352.69NN14851.29W#
>PHG7888 Healy APRS DIGI WIDE/R RELAY/R TRACE/R

Hard to tell, and that is one of the main reasons for the
New-N Paradigm, to get DIGI's to include all the information
that a user needs.  there are a few things wrong with
this digi's beacon:

1) THe ToCALL "APRS" says nothing about the type of TNC
    nor the software version.
2) The "N" overlay implies it is an old WIDEn-N digi without
    any of the New-N paradigm support
3) The WIDE/RELAY/TRACE implies it could be an old non-
Widen-n digi only and yet it has the "N" overlay.

It would be best if the digi:
1) Put the proper TOCALL to indicate the TNC and ver#
2) Use an "S" overlay after it has re-configure for New-N
support (Meaning it is a traceable WIDEn-N and it supports
the state or section SSn-N
3) Had "W#,AKn" in the beacon to show that the recommended
path is W# (whre# is the number of hops for that area) and
AKn shows it supports AKn-N for Alaska
4) Got rid of the obsolete WIDE, RELAY and TRACE that
cause unnecessary dupes.

But if i tis truely an old WIDEn-N digi, then it should support
your WIDE2-2 path , but it wont be traceable...

Bob, WB4APR