Fw: [aprssig] Re: I'm gonna drill....Right tool for the job..

Dale Blanchard wa7ixk at earthlink.net
Fri May 5 18:57:08 EDT 2006

Brian Webster wrote:
> If you are using the 3/8" mount that is not considered an NMO mount. That is
> considered a Larsen or PL-259 type connection. The NMO is a specific
> reference to the original Motorola design with the 3/4" hole. I would echo
> what others have said, use the right NMO hole saw for the job. In all my
> vehicles or the last 17 years (about 30 different mounts) I have never had
> one leak or rust after using the proper tools and methods for installation.
There is a 3/8" hole mount NMO type mount. It is not as secure and
strong as the origional Motorola mount.
The 3/4 hole mount lets one feed a preassembled PL-259 thru the hole.
I have used them ever since they came out.
I remember a Motorola rep at a trade show telling they wanted a mount
that the antenna could be removed and run thru a car wash with out problems.
I use them on everything I have ever had.

Dale