[aprssig] APRS data dump for a month or two

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Thu May 4 18:44:57 EDT 2006

Go ahead and grab it all as fast as you can! That machine is on an internet2
connection, so it has way more bandwidth than you have :-)

There appears to be about 4.9 gigabytes of position data going back to
December of 2003. That's in gzip -9 form, so expect this to use a lot of disk
space. Probably at least 50 gigabytes. :-)

I would imagine that by looking at all of that data you'll get a pretty good
picture of what APRS coverage is in California. It might even be neat to make
some graphics and show how APRS coverage has changed over the last two years.

I'm not aware of anyone that has a long term database of every single packet
available for use. I purge my raw packets fairly regularly and my position
data gets purged at least every 6 months.

-Jim KB0THN