[aprssig] APRS path in Western PA....

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu May 4 04:15:05 EDT 2006

Strange...

Late last year I was holed up in Kulpsville PA for a week, and the
Newn-N system was very evident, and working well.  In fact, there is
someone there running a WIDEn-N digi that was a stonking great big
signal.  I also had no problem getting to an IGate, as messages went
to/from peep's back here in the UK just fine.  I also received one or
two "welcome to the US" APRS messages from the locals, very nice...

I was using an unblocked D7e on batteries, with a "minimag" antenna
(hotel room window mounted air conditioners make good ground planes!)
with or without UiView, not in KISS mode!

I also drove from there up to New York, and for most of the trip
coverage was good to OK.  UiView and some downloaded maps of the area on
the laptop in the passenger footwell, helped a lot!

A friend recently did a trip to mid Florida, with just a basic D7 and
GPS, again all worked very well, especially for messaging to/from the UK
courtesy of the IGates.

It certainly makes the network here in the UK look sparse by comparison.

As for planning a trip based on the type of APRS digi you may pass by...
Hmmmmm...  We have a phrase over here about people like that, but I wont
repeat it on here!  I go from A to B, by whatever means, if I get
coverage, good, if not..  Oh well...

73.	Dave G0WBX.