[aprssig] extra license question

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Mon May 1 22:52:00 EDT 2006

I'm practicing for my extra and came upon this question.

E2D10  How can an APRS station be used to help support a public service communications activity, such as a walk-a-thon?

A An APRS station with an emergency medical technician can automatically transmit medical data to the nearest hospital
B APRS stations with General Personnel Scanners can automatically relay the participant numbers and time as they pass the check points
C An APRS station with a GPS unit can automatically transmit information to show the station's position along the course route
D  All of these choices are correct

I selected D, all of the above, and it's wrong... but APRS _can_ be used for sending messages to a hospital, it can be used to link RF ID badge readers, and obviously transmit gps positions.  The correct answer according to the FCC is C.

We're talking about item B at a motocross race held here in SC in January.  The bikes have to go thru a gate to have the time written on their placard and we're considering reading an RFID badge for automatic scoring.

Geez, guess I'm _too_ into aprs.

Wes