[aprssig] garmin gps and compass heading

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Mon May 1 11:13:02 EDT 2006

"Richard Amirault" <ramirault at verizon.net>, Mon, 1 May 2006 08:30:08
-0400:

>Maybe .. but that was not what I was saying .. if you are using your GPS to
>either:
>1. follow a "route" (a bunch of waypoints) or
>2. arrive at a single waypoint
>
>you will NOT get proper directions UNLESS the GPS is facing the proper
>direction ("forward")

It will, in my experience (GPSMAP76 at sea). I can swivel it 90º or
more - at sea, I am often in front of the navigator which is following
a route and an autopilot managing the tiller, and like to turn it with
the display facing forward. When I approach a waypoint where I have
planned to turn starboard, a message "turn right" will be displayed,
as expected, even if that's to the left side of the GPS at the moment.

>Of course a GPS knows it's own position independant of orientation, but
>that's not the problem, the problem is telling you where (left, right, back,
>forward) the place is that you want to go.

(It also knows in which direction it is moving.)

>Again these are with handheld GPS units, not hocky puck types .. I haven't
>tested those.

My experience is with handheld models, even if mounted. Dunno with
"mice"/pucks.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway