[aprssig] garmin gps and compass heading

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon May 1 10:02:35 EDT 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> A GPS, without a compass, can not tell you a direction when it is
> still.  A compass has to be present to provide a direction, when you
> are motionless.

I've actually noticed that my Garmin MAP60C and the GPS18 both do a
credible job of "remembering" your heading when they are still.

No, it won't be as good as a compass, but since I don't have a compass
I'm going to try and use the information for a little APRS DF project
I'm working on.

-Jason
kg4wsv