[aprssig] ARRL Web Site Propagating Out-Of-Data APRS Into

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Mar 31 23:01:14 EST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Stan - N0YXV wrote:

> Just my 2 cents worth. When I started in APRS I did a lot of
> Googling (and
> ogling but that's another story) and I can't think of one time I got a
> Wikipedia Hit. If we're going to post it, it should be very easy to
> Google
> or Yahoo or Dogpile...etc.

That is Google doing its job. The Wikipedia article is of little use
to an APRS user. Few if any APRS sites link to it. Therefore Google
recognizes it as a lower ranked page. I'm sure it is somewhere in
there among the  4.5 million APRS pages, just not near the top.

If this new site develops content off use to the APRS community, it
WILL get those links that the wikipedia article did not get, and then
Google will recognize it as a site deserving high ranking. As I say,
these thing happen quickly, but you have to have the content first!

Steve K4HG