[aprssig] ARRL Web Site Propagating Out-Of-Data APRS Into

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Mar 30 14:59:32 EST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 2:37 PM, <scott at opentrac.org>
<scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> And that's exactly what I've got my sister working on.  Is aprs.net
> still
> available for such a project?  I'd like a page that makes it
> immediately
> clear what APRS is all about, with sub-pages on various technical
> aspects
> (digi configuration, available hardware and software, etc).  Keri
> should be
> able to write copy and handle the overall presentation, and I'm
> willing to
> pay for graphic design.  Of course, if any other for-profit APRS
> concerns
> want to contribute to the effort, that'd be nice, too.

First, as to the need for graphic design, you might consider reviewing

http://www.site-reference.com/articles/Website-Development/The-
Surprising-Truth-About-Ugly-Websites.html

before you spend a lot of money. That article explains something I
have felt about the web for more than 10 years. Essentially, content
is more important than refinement, and even refinement undermines
content.

As to aprs.net, I'd be glad to give a domain name (for example
info.aprs.net, or any other you'd like), but I don't want to host it
on my server because of security/time concerns (I don't want to have
others with accounts on the servers, and I don;t have time to upload
changes myself).

Steve K4HG