[aprssig] An Anniversary Cheer for Stephen Smith

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 28 22:07:25 EST 2006

>>> Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl at digikey.com> 03/28/06 8:02 PM
>> Its really not hard.  In a 3 hop area,
>> WIDE3-3 and WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 are OK
>
>BUT so is WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 !!  And a digi, such
>as uidigi-rom, configured to a N=3 hop area
>will provide 4 hops for that path.

Which we both agree we dont want, right?

>So what I am  suggesting is that in order to
>limit hops to 3 you actually have to program
>the uidigi-rom (and others) as if they were N=2.
>And then  recommend that users set at a max
>a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

Maybe we are using different terms and not
understanding each other.  But if what you
mean by "N=2" you are meaning TRAP all
values of N=2, then that wont work for
two reasons.

1) It wont let the home stations use WIDE3-3
2) It wont even let anyone use WIDE2-2, because
it will trap them.  That means it will digipeat WIDE2-2
only once and callsign-substitute and the packet
will go no farther.  So  you are forcing everyone
to one hop actually...

Sorry, If I am not understanding your point, but
in a 3 hop area (meaning everyone agrees thta
3 hops is OK in an area, then that means fixed
stations are recommended to use WIDE3-3 or
less and mobiles are recoemended to use
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  And there are no settings
you can place at the digi that will prevent a mobile
from using WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3.  We have to use
user education to prevent that.

Does that help?
Bob, WB4APR