[aprssig] An Anniversary Cheer for Stephen Smith

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 28 17:29:34 EST 2006

>>> Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl at digikey.com> 03/28/06 5:14 PM
>My only issue with the WIDE1-1 replacement for
>RELAY is that, for example, in an N=3 area
>via WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 results in 4 hops.

Yes, and so if it is a 3 hop area, then it should not be
used.  This is a user education issue.  When we
say a 3 hop area, it means 3 hops or less.  Therefore
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2  which is 3 hops is the maximum hop
desired in this area....   Bob

it be better to set up the high digi's to limit N=2 and recommend to
everyone they use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  N=2 and N=4 areas would have
corresponding settings. In most instances high digi's themselves could
limit their maximum beacon to WIDE2-2 and reach an IGate.

Of course if we had smarter digi's, then setting N=3 limit would be
handled by the digi examining the path specified in the incoming packet,
which could deal with such things as WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 which I
believe with UIDIGI would be a 5 hop path.  It will be a while for this
goal to be achieved.

Ron Stordahl, N5IN