[aprssig] Fill-in Digis

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 12:09:46 EST 2006

tim_cunningham at mindspring.com wrote:

> When selecting a packet controller to work as a packet decoder on our
> local voice repeater, I found the add-on TRUE-DCD board worked rather
> poorly with voice audio and it could not be utilized in muting the
> audio on the output of the repeater. This add-on board falsely
> triggered the mute control line to the point that it was very annoying
> to listen to a conversation on the output of the voice repeater. We
> then went to a Kantronics KPC-9612+ and it worked acceptably well. The
> add-on board for the TNC 2 clones may be adequate to work with open
> squelch radio outputs, but they are far inferior when using the DCD
> signal to mute audio on a voice repeater to prevent the packet data
> from being heard on the output of the voice repeater.
>
> The point is that the DCD decoding works much differently on the TNC2
> add-on (hardware decoding) versus the KPC (firmware decoding) units.
>

> 73's,
>
> Tim - N8DEU
> Huntsville, Alabama

I've had the same experience.  The TNC2, no matter what kind of enhanced
DCD is added,  is useless for Mic-E-on-voice-repeater  applications.  It
simply false-detects on voice peaks and DTMF signaling constantly.

Oddly one brute-force approach to DCD, borrowed from the past works
fairly well.   I built a high-Q passive single tone filter using  a
tuned circuit made of a classic 88mH toroid and styrene capacitors, in
the style of early RTTY terminal units.  I resonated the toroid at 1200
Hz, yielding a bandwidth narrow enough that only the low tone of a
packet burst had significant energy within the passband. Voice energy
and DTMF were ignored completely.    Total parts:   1 88mH toroid, two
styrene or mylar caps, an LM324 op-amp, three resistors and a diode.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!    UI-View Misc Notes and FAQ
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm