[aprssig] Fill-in Digis

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 25 11:05:12 EST 2006

When selecting a packet controller to work as a packet decoder on our local
voice repeater, I found the add-on TRUE-DCD board worked rather poorly with
voice audio and it could not be utilized in muting the audio on the output
of the repeater. This add-on board falsely triggered the mute control line
to the point that it was very annoying to listen to a conversation on the
output of the voice repeater. We then went to a Kantronics KPC-9612+ and it
worked acceptably well. The add-on board for the TNC 2 clones may be
adequate to work with open squelch radio outputs, but they are far inferior
when using the DCD signal to mute audio on a voice repeater to prevent the
packet data from being heard on the output of the voice repeater.

The point is that the DCD decoding works much differently on the TNC2 add-on
(hardware decoding) versus the KPC (firmware decoding) units.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama