[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Fri Mar 24 20:26:19 EST 2006

> A message someone else brought up earlier mentioned the class of
> people wanting only to get to an igate.  Perhaps AUTO and IGATE as
> options?

Great idea....that would help satisfy Bob (and me) with the "only the sender
knows..."

> AUTO would function as described earlier.  IGATE would rewrite the
> path to go direct to the nearest igate, wherever that might be.
>
> There might be other mods that could be useful to this concept.
> Like SAR or public service events that needs a different
> configuration.
>
> Heck, I'd like to see NO path, or just "AUTO" used as a path
> someday, and all of the infrastructure just "do the right thing".
> Because of the different usage scenarios people have described, we
> need _some_ clue as to what the user desires though.  I sure hate
> transmitting seven more bytes just to provide this clue.

Don't think you could ever completely just us "AUTO" because there are so
many people with so many different agendas to fill. Might be nice if we
could define a typical mobile user and then let "AUTO" represent him/her.
Then if you wanted to do something atypical you could use your SAR or what
ever other options you come up with. [Just as a joke] Maybe you could have a
setting of APQRM for those that want to hit 6 or 7 digi's while mobile. :-)